[User Settings] Printable Roster with Photo Size Selectable

The printable roster is nice but the photos are much too small to be useful. The size of the photos, when available, should be selectable by instructors (e.g., small, medium, large). It would be nice if the rosters with photos could be sorted by groups too (see previous idea: Printable course roster ).

I can open the individual photos and they are much larger than they appear in the roster. For example, attached is the Canvas photo from the roster and attached is the Angel photo from the roster (we used to use Angel for classes). You can see the difference in usability.

203820_Example Canvas Photo.jpgExample Canvas Photo.jpg203821_Example Angel Photo.jpgExample Angel Photo.jpg

Added to Theme

35 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

203847_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes. You may want to reference this idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

smg36
Community Novice

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your kind suggestion. I had previously searched for and examined other related ideas but I concluded that even though there were requests for printable rosters, they are not the same as this idea. I do have a Print Roster button on Canvas (see arrow in attached photo). My issue is that the printed roster that is generated isn't highly useful because the photos are too small.

Print Roster Button on Canvas.png

In response to your suggestion, however, I did add that it would be nice to have the rosters sortable by groups too.

Thank you again,

Stan

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I think that is a good distinction.  The avatars are fairly small and pixelated.  This would be a useful feature.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I was recently asked by the Director of Admissions at one of our campuses if this feature existed in Canvas.  I would love to see photo roster functionality built out in Canvas.    Heck, you could even expand it to a sub-account/term level to create a campus type student directory.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. October 5, 2016 - Wed. January 4, 2017.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

smg36
Community Novice

Thank you Renee!

vrichter
Community Contributor

I, too, suggested this and it was archived.  We would LOVE this functionality and to be able to retire another system in which we have to create photo rosters that are printable and have photos one can actually see.  Thanks for suggesting this again.   

smg36
Community Novice

Thank you for your efforts as well. Perhaps we can both spread the word and get this to be implemented this time!

jenn_stevens
Community Contributor

Our faculty were desperate for this as well - we eventually had to have someone program it into Banner.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Two sizes as shown in the idea should be fine.  I don't see a need for three.