Users need to be able to customize notifications at the course level

As a user, I want to be able to keep frequent notifications enabled for courses that have high interaction, that I am more invested in, or I find important.  I want to be able to 'down-tune' or disable notifications for courses that have a lot of activity but not much interaction, courses that I am involved in as a staff member, or by my role in the institution involved in but not participating in so I do not receive notifications that I will end up ignoring and then also miss important notifications.

If the premise of Canvas Notifications is to keep me engaged in courses and informed about my courses, I need to be able to control that at a course level for it to be valuable to me and not just a 'firehose' of information.  If I cannot control it more granularity, I may turn all Notifications off and then miss something I actually did want to know about.

Note from the Community Team:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3663-notifications-by-course also requests this capability. We consider combined support for both ideas as part of our regular prioritization process.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18579-canvas-release-notes-2020-04-18 .

68 Comments
saeid
Community Novice

That's a great idea

kristen_perry
Community Novice

This is SO important!  I have to be listed as a co-instructor for a course that I don't actually teach (it's taught by a graduate student, but since I supervise her, I'm listed as a co-instructor of record).  I'm getting bazillions of notifications for this course, and I'd really like to turn them off...but I would then miss notifications for courses that I *DO* teach.  Being able to filter notifications by course, or even section, is crucial. 

daniels_313
Community Novice

Students are getting overwhelmed with notifications! One freshman in tears.
This function needs to happen.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@daniels_313 ​, have a look at the promising commentary under .

waz107
Community Contributor

I am in a similar situation.  I am teaching one section of a course and listed as a teacher in other sections because I need to have access to data such as survey results and grades.  Currently I have to have two accounts going: my official university account that I use for the section that I teach and a second "friends" account that I use when I need to collect data from the other instructors' sections of the course. I do this because the number of notifications I was getting was crazy within the first few days of the course!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
aharkless
Community Explorer

Hello,

Has this issue been revisited since the initial response from Instructure in May of 2015

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @aharkless  

The ideas that are in the Radar status, and/or are open for voting are revisited regularly. What is the feature development process for Canvas?‌ might be a helpful resource? 

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

Amen. Those of us who manage numbers of courses would love to be able to receive notifications in very different ways depending on the course. I would certainly take the time to create my settings and ensure I was notified of those things that mattered to me within that specific course. It is particularly difficult when one is both teaching and managing courses. You have to set notifications in a way that ensures you are inundated with emails.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is one of those parity issues with our past LMSs that is missed by teachers/designers/TAs. 

Users want the ability to change frequency of notifications based upon the type of class/course (academic, support, orientation, etc).