Adding assignment automatically to module

Jump to solution
MsShorter
Community Member

My colleagues and I are in desperate need of the ability to create an assignment and add it to a module immediately. Creating an assignment, then having to go to module, click add, scroll through existing assignments to get to the one needed to then, add it to the module is crazy. This is creating double and triple unnecessary work. The assignment can be created, and place in a module where you want it at the same time. Please make these double and triple steps make sense because it's not adding up. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@MsShorter ...

I think you may have a bit of a misunderstanding on the relationship between the "Assignments" page and the "Modules" page.  While it is possible to create the name of an assignment as an item on your "Modules" page, the "Modules" page is really the area where you are designing the layout of the course for your students.  Essentially, you are creating empty assignment "shells" where your assignment directions can go.  This is all covered in How do I add course content as module items? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).  The "Assignments" page, on the other hand, is the main place where you can add/edit the details of your assignment.  However, if you create all your assignment names from your "Modules" screen first so that they are listed within a module, you can then click on those names to add/edit content to those items.

Now, if you have already created your assignments on your "Assignments" index page and you now want to add those assignment names to modules in your course, you can actually add multiple assignments at one time to a given module.  All you need to do is to hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard, and then click on each assignment name when selecting the assignments to add.  This should highlight all items you've selected, and then they will all be added to the bottom of your module.

There is a script that @James wrote a while back as part of his "Canvancements" (Canvas Enhancements).  This particular one might be of help and interest to you:

How to List Items Alphabetically when Adding to a Module

Finally, it almost sounds like you would like to see the workflow of assignments added to modules changed a bit.  This could be something worthy of a Feature Idea request.  However, right now I see that you are a New Member.  You'll need to "rank up" in the Community (participate more) so that you can post Feature Ideas.  Here are some documents I recommend you take a look at:

I hope this will help to clarify things for you.  Sing out if you have any other questions...thanks!

View solution in original post