Assignment - Publish Unpublilsh

Jump to solution
lph
Community Champion

I am trying to use a single Canvas shell for each of my classes, and NOT make a copy of it each semester. For years, I've had to make a copy each semester, then spend an hour fixing the green navigation links (Try this five times a semester!). To save time, I decided to cross list students into the single shell at the start of the semester and decross list at the end. This has saved time with the left green navigation menu links (redirect link is used heavily).

However, now I am not able to UNpublish assignments because Canvas thinks there are still student data. Those students were decrosslisted but the assignment can't be unpublished. I can unpublish the module but the assignment still shows in the gradebook.

Now I'm in a bind. I can either make a copy, spend the hour fixing the left navigation menu, or figure out how to proceed with the single shell (I actually have five shells due to teaching five courses). 

Does anyone know of a way to get the assignments Unpublished so that students do not see them, and they do NOT show up in the gradebook? I can bulk edit and remove the dates so that they do not show up missing in the gradebook but they still show up -- and this becomes overwhelming for high school students. Some students think they have to immediately do all 160 assignments. Parents get upset. ETC. Some immediately drop the course because "it's too much." Admin doesn't understand. Adults totally misunderstand that it is 160 assignments for 182 days that get shown. 

Is there any way to unpublish these assignments and get them so that they are NOT shown in the gradebook? Otherwise, I'll have to return to wasting my time copying shells, then fixing the dang navigation menu.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lph
Community Champion
Author

To update:

I found a solution that works for me. This solution works because the district supported the idea. 

Admin flipped the switch on the master shells to become blueprint courses. This means I don't lose all the New Quizzes item banks shared to the courses. It makes 33 pages of item banks much easier to handle. 

Next, the SIS generated courses are associated with the proper blueprint course. When I make changes in my master shell then I'm able to sync and students see all the new changes. I've been running this for a week and it's really quite nice because I can work in New Quizzes item banks quickly, update quizzes, push them out, and I don't have to worry about synching with the SIS. The best part is I can publish and unpublish assignments because there are no student data 🙂

The only issue found so far is that New Quizzes marked as Practice in the Blueprint are not identified as Practice in the Associated course. To overcome, I have to manually change the practice quiz setting in the associated courses. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes