Autosave Test Questions in Speedgrader

Jump to solution
AllisonHinton
Community Member

I grade by question in speedgrader. I only submitted update grades for each question when I finished the question not realizing it wouldn't save my work for every student. Is there anyway to retrieve test scores that weren't "updated"? I cannot believe that I have to grade something and then for every student update their grades. That's all fine, but why would the scores I entered for each question not stay there until I was ready to update their grades? I just lost hours upon hours of time because none of my test question scores saved. I'm so over this being an issue. Autosaving has been around forever. Why the heck is Canvas not utilizing the easiest solution so teachers can still access the scores they entered? Or why isn't there a way to recover those scores? 

1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @AllisonHinton,

I think your changes aren't really saved anywhere because of the confusion that could cause between that saved/draft grade vs the real one that's in effect.  Regardless, I agree the situation is not ideal.  I recently advocated for more consistency in the way Canvas handles user input, especially in SpeedGrader.  Some items, like the overall assignment grade, save automatically while others require an additional button push.  There are probably good arguments to be made for either method, but I feel like everything in SpeedGrader should work one way or the other.  Going "buttonless" is way better for speed, but it could also lead to increased errors.  The button is nice that it gives confirmation of an action, but that's a lot of extra clicking.  At a minimum I feel Canvas should generate a warning any time you're about to do something that will cause some kind of text or number you entered to be completely lost.

I know this isn't necessarily a solution, but maybe others will see this and advocate for some of the same things.

-Chris

View solution in original post