Building a Faculty Practicum Rating Sheet in Canvas

Jump to solution
jmarrapodi
Community Explorer

I've been asked to recreate a rating sheet that is used by field supervisors to assess student performance during their practicum. I've attached the form. It has fields for tracking supervisor names, hours student logged, info about the space for the practicum, then it has a rating sheet with multiple areas of competencies. The form is filled in by the supervisor, who isn't on our faculty, but we can get them temporary access to Canvas to do this if I can figure out how. I've built it in Microsoft Forms, which dumps the data into an Excel sheet. It eliminates getting the temporary access but it doesn't add the data to the outcomes being tracked in Canvas. 

My goal is to have this data work with the outcomes that are already in Canvas, since they are the program outcomes, created at the institution level.

I'm not sure how to do this. The form is set so they have sub-outcomes that are rated, then they add the scores to get a final score for the competency. I started building a rubric, then added in the outcome and it adds more points. I had to put directions for the scoring to determine if they passed the competency since I can't do subtotals. Here's a snapshot. That seems to be close, but it doesn't work because of the directions and the extra points the competency adds. Do I do 9 of these, with directions above each for scoring? That doesn't seem right.

Any suggestions on a way to make this work?

Rubric.png

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you @jmarrapodi for including the review sheet used by your supervisors. I think you already have an elegant solution for collecting the observation data (Microsoft Forms) and readying that data for analysis (Microsoft Excel). I would dispense with the stress of extending Canvas access to the evaluators. If it's temporary, that means it has to be enabled and then disabled, which adds administrivia to your workload.

To connect your data to the Outcomes tool in Canvas, I suggest creating one assignment with a rubric with 9 criteria (1 for each outcome). Hopefully you can make each of those outcome criteria worth the points that are in the attached document (i.e., Competency 1 is worth 20 points, Competency 2 is worth 12 points, etc.).

Match the levels for each criterion within the Canvas rubric with the titles from the observation sheet and make the range of point values match as well. Here's how I would do it for Competency 1:

• 16-20 = Excellent 
  • 11-15 = Meets expectations
  • 6-10 = Needs improvement
  • 1-5 = Does not meet expectations
  • 0 = No evidence

The data entry for Canvas begins with opening the rubric inside SpeedGrader for the assignment in your browser and your data sheet in Excel. Then enter the points for each criterion reported by your supervisors. If you set up the grading rubric as ranges, the corresponding criterion level will "light up."

At the end you will have both sets of data for each student: A score out of 124 for their letter grade and a value for each of the outcomes. 

This was a great question, and I hope my suggestions work for you. I'm going to mark my response as a solution, but hopefully other members of the community will also share their ideas.

View solution in original post