Can't delete assignment from a copied course

Jump to solution
ElizabethR2
Community Member

I have been teaching the same semester course for 2 years, 2 classes per year. I have always copied the previous semester's course with assignments at the start of the new semester. I had always unpublished all assignments and when I used the same assignment, I would change the due date and publish when used. Some of those assignments had even been ones where students submitted work in the past semester, but I went about it the same way.....unpublish, change due date and publish when the time came. When I started this semester, I was not able to change assignments due dates to current dates, unpublish them or delete past assignments. This had never been the case. Even worse, the assignments from last semester's class are seem by students as overdue assignments. Is there anything I can do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
JeffW
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @ElizabethR2,

Some great information in these replies. It definitely seems that you moved the assignments in to a course that is using a term associated with grading periods. The due dates on those copied assignments placed them in a locked grading period according to the term association. 

The best way to avoid this would be to use the import existing content tool and copy the things you want over. It will give you an option to either remove or shift the dates which will help you avoid those outdated assignments being placed in a locked grading period. 

Some times schools let their teacher reset their courses, some times you have to reach out to your admins. If they have given you permission to reset it, then you can find that on the right side of the course settings page. If you don't see it, then an admin would have to do it for you. Only an admin can change the due date of an assignment in a closed grading period as well. If you don't have that many then an admin could possibly just go in and edit those for you.

Again, here is a guide to using that import existing content tool! https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-copy-content-from-another-Canvas-course...

View solution in original post

0 Likes