Canvas Announcements

Jump to solution
JohnClear
Community Explorer

Hi everyone, John here, Canvas admin at a school in Sydney, Australia.

We use Blueprint courses.

I know students can turn off email announcements, but leaving that aside (because the students I have used as a test group, email notifications are enabled)...

I am experiencing inconsistencies in email notifications from Announcements.

The teacher posts an announcement in the master course, syncs that course...
- some students receive an email notification, some don't
- some students receive an email notification for one announcement, but then won't receive a notification for another.

Does anyone else experience this?
Is there a setting I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

John

0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @JohnClear 

Thank you for contacting the Instructure Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with announcements. Based on  what you've explained, the only reason some students are  receiving the email notification and some aren't should be due to their personal email notification settings. We allow any user regardless of role to specify which notifications they want to receive, frequency, push notifications, etc. There is a good likelihood some students have chosen to disable the notification setting for announcements either globally or in that course specifically. You can check this by masquerading as the students and checking  their notification preferences. Do they match up or have they disabled the notification for announcements? If you have a user or two that do not have the notification disabled and did not receive the email, then you'll  want to bring it up with Canvas Support.

Because of the complexity of the issue, and the concerns for privacy, it would be best if you contacted Canvas Support directly to pinpoint the source of the issue and provide a resolution:

How do I contact Canvas Support? - Instructure Community  

View solution in original post