ThaisLogan
Community Member

Do you find Canvas easy to use?

4 Solutions
RecycledElectro
Community Coach
Community Coach

Canvas has a learning curve for new teachers, but I can not imagine a simpler way to do what Canvas does. Canvas is more important per hour spent learning it than any other tool I learned to use as a new teacher. If teacher certification programs had a clue they would devote the first class to using Canvas and building online classes with tools like Adobe Creative Cloud, and then more to teaching those online classes in a classroom. (They will never do this.)

The best way to introduce new students to Canvas is to guide them through setting up their accounts, and then having them complete several small things for grades.

Students take a quiz that uses every kind of question Canvas allows (e.g., multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, etc.) It is important that wrong answers be marked wrong and that this counts in their grade. If the wrong answers are not marked wrong, students will not complete it.

After almost everyone has turned in the quiz, I check the Canvas grade book and ask the students who did not complete the quiz to finish it. This shows they will be held accountable, and gives them motivation to complete the assignments.

Next, students complete an assignment where they type in an answer. Sometimes I ask them to introduce themselves, and other times I have them go to HTTP://Chat.OpenAI.com and (after they set up their accounts) describe themselves to ChatGPT, describe the class to ChatGPT, and ask why they should be excited to take the class. For example, a student might ask "I'm a freshman at a community college who hopes to become an attorney. I'm taking a class on Microsoft Office. Why should I be excited about this class?"

Then I walk them from the classroom (which has computers) to the open computer lab, and have them log in there. We continue with more assignments:

Then, students complete an assignment where they upload a file. Sometimes I have them create a Word Document with their name typed in it. Other times I have them go to HTTP://Bing.com/Images/Create and (after they set up their accounts) create an image that looks like them and upload it. That is how I got my avatar I use on this forum.

At this point, I walk them back from the open computer lab to the classroom and have them log in to Canvas again. It is important to have them log out and log back in a few times so they remember how to log in.

Then, students complete an assignment where they submit a file from their Microsoft One Drive or their Google Drive.

If they have laptops with them, ask them to log into Canvas from their laptops. They should save their passwords on their laptops.

View solution in original post

valentinesking
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thais,

Great question. Generally, I'd say yes. Any technology has some sort of learning curve. From my previous institution, when we transitioned to Canvas our instructors seem to take more of an active role in their course development and maintenance because it is easy to use (in comparison to the previous platform). The platform UI has a clean design that allows you a "Canvas" to personalize the class. The only aspect that can be a bit tricky without any training or researching further is quizzes. 

However, one of the best parts of Canvas is this community, its Canvas Guides and the other amazing users here that share their experience & knowledge with you.

Let us know if you have specific questions.

Val

0 Likes
BradMoser
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi ThaisLogan, 

Great question! Simple answer yes. 

I have used lots of edtech tools though. But in my experience for the purpose and function of Canvas as a Learning Management System, it's easy to use. Most things are labeled in a way to help you easily find and access and there are great support resources for learning Canvas on your own. 

Also, there are a ton of great features for teachers. It allows you as a teacher to create an online space called a course for your students to access. From there, you can create website pages to present information and content or even record yourself teaching and embed it directly in the page. You can create assignments with student submission options to provide students with personalized choices in how they will demonstrate their learning. You can create quizzes with item banks and computer graded questions. You can track learning outcomes, and use rubrics to assist with scoring and providing feebback. You also have the Speedgrader tool which quickly organizes all the student submissions into one interface for quick scoring. The gradebook page lets you quick input scores, but also monitor whats missing as a class or student. There is even a course analytics tab that provides insights into which students are on track to completing and which ones need more attention. There are communication tools and more.  

Will you master these features the first week? No, but you can do like I did and learn them as you need them. For example, start by following the Instructure Guides and complete the Getting Started Checklist. There is even a great 30min video showing you how to set up your course. And just like you received multiple replies to your question here... the Canvas Community is super helpful too. Even check out some of us on Facebook Group if that is your jam. 

There is a lot of learn and when you are ready and you don't know the answer, you simply just have to ask and between the guides, the videos and Community people, you will be successful. 

Good luck in your journey! 

andrea_earl
Community Contributor

I do think Canvas is easy to use, the second year. The first year is a steep learning curve. Canvas has so many facets and so much capability that it takes a while for an instructor to figure out how each of the features work, and how they can leverage those features For their students. But once you begin playing with all of the tools and exploring the capabilities, I think you will love the way, Canvas can streamline and enrich instruction. Then the second year, just copy your course or the format or even just your workflow, and Canvas will save you a tremendous amount of time. 

I like to compare Canvas to my old 1971 Mustang. Getting on the freeway, especially if the on-ramp was on an incline, pedal to the metal, it took a long time to get up to speed but once I hit the straightaway, I could do 120. Canvas is like that. Takes a little while to get up to speed but once you do, you’re going to fly. 

0 Likes