Captions are not transferring to new course

Jump to solution
JaskWilliamson
Community Novice

Last semester, I created German-language captions for a video clip in My Media and successfully embedded it into a course. This semester, I am trying to embed the same clip into a different course, but the captions are not showing up in the new course. The captions are still present in My Media, and I have selected the new course in the places to publish the video, but the captioned version still does not transfer into the new course.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @JaskWilliamson,

The "My Media" area is part of a 3rd -party integration called Kaltura.  My institution uses Kaltura, so I have a pretty good idea of what the issue may be.  Kaltura is doing a major revision of what they call the "player" (which is basically the area where you see and control the video in Media Gallery or embedded on a page.  Your school may have completed this upgrade recently, and made a config change (whether intended or unintended) to the new player, which is causing your captions to not display for new embeds (which use the new player).  I'd recommend reaching out to someone at your school/institution about this.  Kaltura is more likely run out of an eLearning or IT department, so starting there may be beneficial.  Hopefully they can take a look at your video and adjust their settings to the captions show again in Canvas.

I hope this info helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post