Confidentiality among students

Jump to solution
MsEdwards
Community Novice

I am a special education teacher at a high school and have a "caseload" class. I was wondering if there is  way to publish a page without every student seeing other students' names? For example, my caseload is a page. I do not want other students' names being seen due to confidentiality issues and FERPA. I would love to have a way to communicate with parents and students one time instead of multiple for the same occasion. New information is always provided, and I'm hoping there is an option similar to the BCC email option where only one student can see their name in a mass email. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with students viewing other students' emails and names. When you send a message to the entire class, they will all  be included on the thread. We do  not display their real emails as the inbox is  not like a regular email server, but we will display the names of the students. If you don't want the students seeing anybody else in the course or in a message, you should make sure the "people" tab is hidden in the class. Additionally, you need to check "Send an individual message to each recipient" when sending the message. This will include the  messages  to be between you  and individual students  and not the entire class in one. Hopefully this helps!

View solution in original post