Course has 2 section but how do I set the default section

Jump to solution
NidhinNinan
Community Member

I am a TA for a course that has 2 section, an honors and non-honors version. The default course name is that of the honors version and my professor was interested in knowing if we could change the name to the non-honors version. I think Canvas recognizes the first of the 2 section as the default course name which is the honors version for us. I even tried changing the name in setting but neither my professor nor myself (TA Lead) seem to be able to do that. How do I change the defaults section without having to set up the course from scratch on Canvas?

0 Likes
1 Solution
JeffW
Instructure
Instructure

Hey @NidhinNinan.

It does seem that you are working with sections that were cross-listed in to one course. A lot of times institutions don't let their teachers/TAs rename courses and it is something you would have to reach out to your local help desk for more information on. It seems that you move the section from the standard level shell in to the honors shell, which simply moves the enrollments and they assume the identity of the shell they were moved in to.

It's possible that you could de cross-list the sections and then cross-list again in the opposite order so that the honors section is moved into the shell for the standard section. Ultimately you will want to reach out to your local help desk as, again, that's commonly restricted for teachers/TAs.

View solution in original post