Customize Group Homepage Navigation Items

Jump to solution
EmilyMcGee
Community Member

I am a Canvas admin looking into setting up user groups for my campus. Can the group homepage navigation items be customized for different user groups at the account level? For example, groups would be useful for our school for distributing resources to certain student populations, but we would need the students to remain anonymous. Would there be any way to disable the people, discussions, and collaborations features for a specific group in this case?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@EmilyMcGee ...

When I worked for a college in Wisconsin, we initially used the account level groups for things like clubs and other organizations around our campus.  However, we later discovered that creating groups as just regular course shells gave people more flexibility in what they wanted to do within those course shells.  So, for your example, have you considered using regular Canvas course shells instead of creating those account level groups?  This way, you could absolutely hide the "People", "Discussions", and "Collaborations" course navigation links so that students would not see those items in the course.

Just as FYI ... these are two (almost identical) blogs I wrote a long time ago about our setup when I worked in WI.

I hope this will give you some food for thought moving forward.  Feel free to ask questions...thanks!

View solution in original post