Download All Students Submisions, Exams and Discussions

Jump to solution
DeweyLMS
Community Member

Hello,

At our institution, it's customary for teachers to compile a comprehensive folder at the conclusion of each term. This folder should encompass all the documents, assignments, and exams submitted by students throughout the course duration.

Is there a method available to efficiently download all the work completed by students in a given course?

This should encompass assignments, discussions, as well as both classic and new quiz submissions.

Thank you!

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Hi @DeweyLMS,

Understood - we recently had not dissimilar requirements to satisfy the UK ESFA funding agency.

You could consider setting an External Examiner role - we based one on the TA role - and adjust permissions across the sub account to avoid having to enrol individually in courses ( we do this via our staff provisioning). This depends on how granular your sub accounts are.

If you have developers available API access may be the way to go. If someone in your organisation has 'Act As Student' permissions then this might make for quicker access to submitted assignments (these are stored in the students own personal files area

Sign in as Student > Account > My Files > Submissions

All courses will be listed, with the submissions within

This download probably doesn't include feedback, but the course names should make it easier to search for / navigate to the course (or do this via the student courses link or dashboard) where the student Grades view will take you straight to the feedback.   

I found that I could toggle open any rubrics to print the lot as a single print - the assignments and annotations themselves had to be downloaded individually and (irritatingly) followed a different naming convention.

I'm sure that other contributors may be able to offer alternative insights.

I look forwards to hearing how you get on

best

Paul

View solution in original post

0 Likes
NicoletteStaley
Community Team
Community Team

@DeweyLMS You may want to consider if the GET /api/v1/users/:id/graded_submissions API request might provide the data you are looking for.  The user making the request would need to have permissions to masquerade as the student in Canvas, but the request allows for pagination and includes the grade and URLs for the submission as well as the annotated submission if it exists.  

View solution in original post