Email address not visable from students.

Jump to solution
tim_littleton
Community Explorer

Hi.

We would like to see students email addresses in messages they send from within Canvas.

We have checked the setting Show the email address of sender for user interaction Notifications. 

This doesn't appear to change much. I had hoped that the senders address would be visible for the recipient.

All we see is the user name followed by <notifications@instructure.com>

Eg, Michael Schumacher <notifications@instructure.com>

Is there any way that this can work for us?

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Tim Littleton

0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @tim_littleton,

I don't think there is a way around this.  Something to keep in mind is that Canvas messages are really sent internally in Canvas, and what you ma get in an email is just a notification telling you Canvas has a message waiting (usually with a preview of the message, which may cause more confusion than it helps, but that's a different discussion).  Even if you wanted the email notifications to come from a different address, there would be a lot more configuration and complexity to do that and not have the message marked as SPAM or blocked completely as being illegitimate.  That's probably one of the key reasons Canvas has things implemented as they are right now, although I don't work for them so I cannot say for sure.

P.S. Hello fellow F1 Fan (judging by your example name)!

-Chris

View solution in original post