Enable join code for some students after course is published and others have enrolled

Jump to solution
GraziaCunningha
Community Explorer

Hello-

I have set up my courses (as Admin) so that students enroll in the course via email invite. I have not set a join code for any courses. One of my users (a teacher) has asked that I set a join code for her students because they have a Canvas account with a local school district and are having issues accessing Canvas courses that are outside their district. 

Questions:

1. Can I enable a join code for a handful of students?
  2. If I enable a join code, will this mess up the enrollment for all the other students who are already invited via email and/or are enrolled?

Thank you.

Grazia

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Oh you're talking about the account creation through a join code. Yes, that has to be enabled at account level since you're using that to create Canvas accounts for these students.

Join codes are just another method of joining a course that can be enabled. Future students can be enrolled through the join code/enrollment link, by inviting them from the People page, or through SIS importing or API calls.

These actions are NOT mutually exclusive. By enabling one you're not disabling any other way someone could enroll a student into a course (given that they have the correct permissions to do so). The join code just makes it easier for students to enroll themselves into a course, without having to ask the teacher or put in a support ticket, etc.

View solution in original post