Going back Light mode (don't want Black the whole day)

Jump to solution
SangeetaDhawan
Community Explorer

I cannot change my setting back to the light mode. I have tried toggling the High Contrast slider in Settings.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Solutions
CelestialDawnA
Community Explorer

Are you on a computer with this problem, or a mobile device? And are you in a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, etc.) or a Canvas app? Some clarification on where you are and what you are using may help in finding a useful solution for you.

My best guess would be that maybe your device or browser has dark mode as the default theme, so you may need to check those settings first and make adjustments there to have it fixed in Canvas.

View solution in original post

Thanks for sending those pictures in! And that's okay - I'll do my best to guess at the possibilities.

Do you maybe have an extension added to your Chrome to turn on Dark Mode for certain sites (or Canvas specifically)? I see that there are quite a few, even just for Canvas (see this link of the Chrome Extension store), so if you have one of those on your device you may just need to turn it off momentarily to see if that fixes it.

If you don't have an extension, does your school happen to use a Website Accessibility tool? For example, my institution uses YuJa's website accessibility and it's embedded in every page in Canvas (see screenshot of an example). When you click on those tools, often they have "display" accessibility options, some of which may include a dark mode. If that's the case for you and it's currently turned on, you can typically use the tool to also turn that off and save the change until you are ready to use it again.

As a general question, about how long ago did you get that set up? A week, a day, a month, etc.? Another tip I'd recommend trying is to clear your Chrome cache for at least as far back as when you started seeing that. If the issue is related to just your browser settings, that should clear it up. If you need help with that, here's a support article that describes what to do for clearing Chrome's cache and selecting a certain time range.

I hope one of those helps you find what you need!

It got solved!!

A combination of toggling the high contrast setting on and off in both Canvas and the Mac settings on my laptop. Also got got rid of most extensions. Don't know what did it but it worked so thank you so much for you help!

🙌🏼