Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JodiAllan

Google Docs Losing Formatting When Submitted to Canvas

Jump to solution

Student made Works Cited pages in Google Docs and then upload to Canvas (I clicked online submission - File Upload). Every document lost its formatting when uploaded - specifically, the hanging tab that is required in MLA Works Cited pages. Any suggestions about how to fix this problem or why it is happening in the first place? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michelli
Community Member

@JodiAllan I accept Google Docs from my students, but you are right that they lose formatting when SUBMITTED to Canvas. It is difficult to get the students to internalize that they have to do things differently for Google Docs, but I give them a pdf showing them how to do it (attached or linked to this post).

Basically, you set Canvas to accept a link instead of (or as well as) a document, and then get the students to submit an editable link in the field Canvas will then provide. For face to face classes, I find they catch on quickly. For completely online classes I find they take several attempts before it clicks.

Hope this helps,

Pippin

View solution in original post

2 Replies
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @JodiAllan 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with Google Docs submissions not displaying correctly in the Canvas. It sounds like the students submitted files and they are not displaying correctly within the speedgrader for you? Are the files showing up in the speedgrader or do they appear completely broken? If it is an issue only with formatting of the written assignments, it could also be an issue with the browser itself. We recommend clearing the cache and cookies.

In Chrome
On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click the three dots
Click settings
On the left, choose Privacy and Security
Then, clear browsing data
At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time. I suggest at least 4 weeks
Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
Click Clear data.

However, if the documents are still inaccessible or altered it may be best to get more information. What type of assignment or page was it and how is Google LTI integrated into your course. More information could help us find a solution. If you are unable to get these documents to display it may be an issue with Google, your device or browser, or the settings and permissions. You are welcome to contact Canvas Support also if you feel that would help. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/How-do-I-contact-Canvas-Support/ta-p/389767  

michelli
Community Member

@JodiAllan I accept Google Docs from my students, but you are right that they lose formatting when SUBMITTED to Canvas. It is difficult to get the students to internalize that they have to do things differently for Google Docs, but I give them a pdf showing them how to do it (attached or linked to this post).

Basically, you set Canvas to accept a link instead of (or as well as) a document, and then get the students to submit an editable link in the field Canvas will then provide. For face to face classes, I find they catch on quickly. For completely online classes I find they take several attempts before it clicks.

Hope this helps,

Pippin