Group feedback when using a rubric

Heidik
Community Member

Hi,

There's a functionality I'm missing with regards to using rubrics with group assignments (or I don't know how to do it, and hopefully someone can advise me). I haven't been able to find any posts on this either.

My set up is this: My students are submitting a group assignment (a video of a presentation), and I have a rubric set up for grading the assignment. Some parts of the rubric are intended for the group (feedback on the content, the powerpoint, etc.) and some parts of the rubric are intended for the individual (grammar, vocabulary, presentation style). The grades are individualized.

What I would like to be able to do is to give both individualized and group feedback. However, when using the rubric, it seems to only be either or. If I use the setting "Assign Grades to Each Student Individually", then the rubric is individualized and the students are not grouped together. This means that to give joint feedback using the rubric, I need to find each student in that group (that in itself is already troublesome) and give the same comment on the rubric to each student. The "Comments" field allows me to give comments to all students, but if I use that, then there's no point to using a rubric. If "Assign Grades to Each Student Individually" is unchecked, then students are grouped together and all comments on the rubric go to all students. This means I cannot use the rubric to give individualized feedback (and there is no option in the Comment field to give individual feedback either). And, of course, they cannot get different grades.

What would make grading easiest is to (a) have all students grouped together regardless of the settings (so that I don't open the same video multiple times), and (b) to be able to choose whether a comment in the rubric goes to an individual student or the entire group. 

I've unchecked "Assign Grades to Each Student Individually" because I don't want to bother with repeating feedback (and finding group members!) - instead, I will address students by name in the individualized fields of the rubric and manually override the grade if needed. But, this is not ideal and I think it undermines the use of a rubric with group assignments, especially if some rubric fields are individualized.

Does anyone know of a better way to do this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes