Hide grades posting policy did not hide quiz results. Help?

Jump to solution
TanyaUponAvon
Community Explorer

The Canvas Community instructor guide "How do I hide or post assignment grades in SpeedGrader?" erroneously indicates that “Students will not be able to see their quiz responses while quiz grades are hidden” when the "manual" grade posting policy is set in the gradebook. Based on this claim, we did not switch on the "Restrict Student Results View" setting for the quiz (this was the preference of the faculty member--I am an instructional designer). Students were then able to see the quiz questions and their responses, etc. This was very problematic, and it happened in a very important exam.

The implication of that sentence from the instructor guide is that the "hidden" control in the gradebook supersedes the setting within the quiz. It has occurred to me that the quiz tool is essentially an LTI, so it seems unlikely that the quiz results can be controlled from the gradebook. If this is so, I'd like to ask that the sentence be corrected posthaste.

Thanks,

Tanya

Labels (3)
0 Likes
3 Solutions
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @TanyaUponAvon,

I can reproduce this in my Canvas environment too.  I'm not sure if this is a bug in New Quizzes, or intended behavior that needs to be documented better.  I'm going to have someone else to check this out and take appropriate action.

-Chris

View solution in original post

JeffW
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @TanyaUponAvon!

We really appreciate you bringing this information to light. I did some testing and can confirm that it definitely does not apply to New Quizzes because they are an LTI. The settings would need to be managed using this guide. I reached out to the Community team to see about getting that information clarified in the guide you were referencing.

0 Likes

Hi Jeff, 

I really appreciate your looking into this and following up on this concern. Thank you so much!

Tanya

0 Likes