How are unweighted Assignment Groups weighted?

Jump to solution
DGEmily
Community Member

When you have multiple assignment groups that are unweighted ("Weight final grade based on assignment groups" is toggled off), how does that functionally work with the total grade? I'm guessing it's one of two options:

1. The assignment groups are just there for people's organizational benefit, and they might as well be one big 100% assignment group. The total remains the same even if you move some assignments from one group to another.

2. The assignment groups are all equally weighted and add up to 100% (ex: If you have four groups, each are weighted as 25%. If you add a fifth group, they all automatically become 20%). In this case, it would matter if one group had 100 assignments and the other had 3; Those three grades would be much more impactful.

My guess is it's the first one, but I want to be sure and I'm having a doozy of a time finding that info spelled out. I'm in tech support and I want to understand this to better support my teachers. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @DGEmily,

Without the "Weight final grade based on assignment groups" option toggled off, the assignment groups are purely for organization purposes (so your option #1).  The total columns (for each group and the whole course itself) are purely a calculation of points earned divided by points possible.

-Chris

View solution in original post