debbie_ellis
Community Participant

How do I assign a quiz to a group

Jump to solution

I have created a couple of groups in my course, and I want to assign a different quiz to each group. However, though you can assign an assignment to a group, the same option doesn't exist when setting up a quiz. I even tried setting up an assignment with the assignment type as "External Tool" and then choosing the New Quizzes engine as the tool. The minute I did that, I lost the ability to make it a group assignment.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
nmbucklein
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @debbie_ellis !

Thank you for your feedback, and I have mentioned the suggestions in this thread to my team. 

I checked our current and archived Feature Requests, and it looks like this thread is related: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Assign-to-teacher-made-groups-in-Quizzes/idi-p...

The Ideas page is the best way to get an idea like this up to Engineering, so I would recommend reviewing this thread, and either showing your support on that idea, or creating a new one as the linked post is a year old. 

At Instructure, we do our best to build our products to fit the needs of our users, so your voice matters! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nwilson7
Community Champion

@debbie_ellis Canvas does not currently have a "group" function for quizzes.  I think the main reason for this is because the way groups work in that only 1 person needs to submit (although I have seen people post that this is their goal so would still want this function).  So, it is not individually assigning it to each student.  It is more work but you can enter individual students' names in there and accomplish what you want.  Type like 5 students' names in and have it just assigned to it to those students (basically creating a manual group).  Not sure your class size so this could be a lot of extra work.

You might also consider using question banks.  These can be setup to randomly pull questions from so each student gets a slightly different quiz.  This is a great option if you are concerned with cheating.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

The way Canvas defines "group" creates a lot of confusion. I really wish that Canvas had used the term "team" instead. In Canvas, "Groups" are for collaborative work. Therefore, you can create Group Assignments and Group Discussions. Think in terms of "teams." However, Quizzes are always done by individuals, not by teams. Therefore, there are no Group Quizzes. 

Instead, what you want to do is create "Sections." Sections are using for differentiated learning. The students in the "blue" section get X, while the students in the "red" section get Y.  While you can't assign Quizzes to "groups," you can assign them to "sections."

Therefore, if you want students in your class to take different versions of the Quiz (e.g. the regular quiz and one for IEP students), then you'll need to create "sections." And, of course, these quizzes will be done individually, not in collaboration.

***NOTE TO THE CANVAS DEVELOPERS: Please work on your terminology. Using the term "Group" was not a good choice. How about replacing "Group" with "Team?"

@SusanNiemeyer I think what you say about collaborative vs differentiated learning situations is vaild, but I have a different take which I think is also valid and more supportive of the original request.  I think of sections as foundational and groups as "ad hoc."   In our case, Sections are there from Day One of the Canvas course and don't change, but  group sets are created for a particular instructional goal.  Let's say you have a large class and you have divided them into groups to submit a group project, but then you want each student in the group individually to take a quiz (or submit a brief paper) to demonstrate their own learning.  That's just one of several hypothetical use cases I could come up with.  Now, I can see an argument could be made that "This could be done, but would require too much engineering time to implement and in light of other things that we think are more important, it is not a priority."  But on the other hand, the argument that "We could do it, but that's not what we think groups are for" suggests a company culture that high handed and not invested in listening to its community.   (And by the way, we don't permit our teachers to create sections, so that option isn't open to them, and that couldn't be changed without taking a wrecking ball to our data infrastructure.)

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

I quite agree with you. I would like to see a "reimagining" of Groups and Sections, as they are currently set up in Canvas. And, I think it would be great for an instructor to be able to assign a Quiz to an already formed Group, with the understanding that each member of the Group will take the Quiz individually. (For collaborative activities, I would stick with Group Assignments and Group Discussions).

In the meantime, we are limited in what we can assign.

0 Kudos
nmbucklein
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @debbie_ellis !

Thank you for your feedback, and I have mentioned the suggestions in this thread to my team. 

I checked our current and archived Feature Requests, and it looks like this thread is related: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Assign-to-teacher-made-groups-in-Quizzes/idi-p...

The Ideas page is the best way to get an idea like this up to Engineering, so I would recommend reviewing this thread, and either showing your support on that idea, or creating a new one as the linked post is a year old. 

At Instructure, we do our best to build our products to fit the needs of our users, so your voice matters! 

0 Kudos