How do I find classic quiz question banks that I accidentally unbookmarked?

Jump to solution
ChrisGall
Community Novice

Several years ago I created a number of question banks for AP Human Geography.  It's a pain in the a**, because I cannot add new questions to them unless I import the bank, which then makes a copy, and now I have to try to remember what the current copy is (and dig through old copies of the question bank).

With that in mind, I tried to find the original ones to use as practice questions for kids, and must've accidentally unbookmarked them.  Now, I can't find them.  Which is to say that I can't find a master list with all of my questions banks in it.

This is incredibly frustrating for me for both parts.  If you can help with either of those problems (but particularly the second one), I'd be grateful.  Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
JeffCampbell
Community Contributor

I'm not sure if the method you are using is different, but it should not make multiple question banks for classic quizzes unless you import multiple times. It should be a single set and editable. And it should not require you to search for the correct copy (which is something I need to figure out with the new Quizzes Item Bank system). When I go into mine, it allows me to add questions to existing banks. The only thing I could think of for why it will not let you add new questions is because you are accessing a bank in a course that has ended. That could lock down editing the bank.

Even if you are importing from a course that has ended, if you choose to export just the quiz content, it will not export the question banks. However, there is a way to import it so you get just the question banks, from which you could then continue to update with new questions. This would be a suggested method so that you are not having to address your first issue. This could potentially help address the second one, depending on how your institution handles courses that have ended.

1. Go to the course where you want the question banks to end up.
  2. Go to Settings, then Import Course Content.
  3. Select Copy a Canvas Course, then find the course you feel has the correct set of up to date banks (or find the one that you feel has your master list) using the list. On my end, it will show all of my courses going back to when our district first set up Canvas.
  4. In the options for importing, make sure to select Select Specific Content. The rest of the options are up to you. When you select Import at the bottom, it will take you to a standard screen showing any imports you have already done. At the top of the list should be the new on you are starting, with an option on the far right that says Select Content. Choose this to get a sub menu where you can drill down to importing just question banks.

There is a help page for this if you want some more info: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-select-specific-content-as-part-of-a-co...

I feel this should get you what you want, even if it is from an older course. The only issue will be if the question banks you are referencing come from a course that has been completely archived or from another district/institution. 

View solution in original post