How to Download Discussion Post Submissions

Jump to solution
anchored21
Community Member

Hello!

I use Discussion Posts as the primary way my students submit their work. This submission is usually either text entered into the text editor box, a video file, or a Word file to download. I would like to download the submissions from the Discussion Posts just like I am able to download Assignment submissions. How do I download submissions for Discussion Posts?

Other posts to this forum that address this issue are from three years ago and had no real resolution. I am hoping that Canvas has corrected this problem and that I've simply missed the solution in my searches.

Labels (1)
3 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @anchored21 ...

I don't think you're missing anything.  Unfortunately, I don't believe that downloading attachments from discussion replies is possible ... at least not all at once.  That would sure be nice, though.  In searching the Community, I found some resources for you (some of which you may have also found in your own searching):

I would also point you to this Feature Idea that you may be interested in reading: Download discussion board posts - Canvas Community.  If you feel this one aligns with something you'd like to see implemented in Canvas, you might want to consider giving it a star rating and also posting a comment to it letting the team of engineers at Instructure know why this would be important to you.  This Guide gives more detail on the star rating system: How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Commu... - Canvas Community.

I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope it's helped to answer your question.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

rkelley1
Community Participant

So sad... so much discussion, over so many years, with so many participants... and no feature implemented.  

jrm4
Community Member

Let me give you an honest answer, the people who work here or are coaching (I'lll bet a dollar they actually work here) are going to dress up their answers with a lot of blah blah.

The fact of the matter is, they *could* easily implement this if they wanted. I know this because I *teach, * among other things, advanced web programming.

They choose not to. I don't know why not, but it's why I don't have a lot of respect for this platform. If there were a reasonable answer for why (offhand, I can't think of one) they should give it.

So far, the "copy paste" answer is probably your best bet. That's what I did this semester.  Later, I might see if there are any 3rd party discussion tools that can handle this better.