I recently withdrawn from a class and I was wondering what happens to all my homework submissions and test submissions in the Canvas system?

Jump to solution
KangarooKing941
Community Member

I recently withdrew from a college class and I was wondering what happens to all my homework submissions and test submissions. Do all those submissions get permanently deleted in the Canvas system instantly, never to be seen again once I withdraw from a college course? How does the data process work exactly? Could I talk to a Canvas representative via phone about this question? I hope someone can answer my question.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

I teach at a community college. When a student withdraws from a class, the student loses access to the Canvas course. In addition, I no longer see the student's profile, assignments, or grades.

However, if a student is reinstated to the course, then both I and the student will see the work that that he or she submitted before the student had withdrawn.

At the end of the semester, all of my students will lose access to my Canvas course, including their assignments. The course will become "read only" for me, as the instructor.

View solution in original post

@KangarooKing941 ...

The response that you received from @SusanNiemeyer is correct.  If you were initially enrolled in a Canvas course at your school, your instructor would see any homework submissions that you had completed prior to you dropping the course.  Once you were dropped from the course in Canvas, then your instructor no longer has access to those submissions...nor do you because you are no longer enrolled in the course.  However, if your school's Canvas administrator were to re-enroll you in the course, your submissions would automatically reappear in the course...just as if you had never dropped the course.  Now, there is a way that your school's Canvas administrator could keep you enrolled in the course but "Deactivate" you in the course.  This means that you appear as "inactive" in the course....but you cannot access the course even though you are still enrolled.  The following Guide is really meant for Canvas administrators and instructors (not for students), but I'm sharing this with you so that you can see the information contained in the Guide:

How do I deactivate an enrollment in a course?

All this is to say...I would highly recommend that if you have concerns about your submitted assignments in your Canvas course, you should really have a discussion with that instructor and also with your school's local Canvas administrator or someone from their Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Education department.  They would be the best resources for you to talk with for a situation like this.

I hope this will help a bit.  Good luck!

View solution in original post