Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angela_vanbrugg

Is there a way to track if students have viewed my announcements?

Jump to solution

Is there a quick way to check how many/which kids have seen my announcements without having to check each individual student's analytics?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
tdw
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @angela_vanbrugg ‌,

There's not really a way to check this - and it's not for lack of functionality in Canvas, it's because it's impossible 😕

Basically the reason is this: Users can control their notification preferences.  So you might have some users view it in your course, some get a DM in twitter, others get an email, and others get a push notification.  Some people have suggested some interesting workarounds such as:

• In the announcement specify that students should "like" it to acknowledge they read it
  • Use a discussion instead and set it at the top of the module as a prerequisite so they can't access anything else until they access it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
tdw
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @angela_vanbrugg ‌,

There's not really a way to check this - and it's not for lack of functionality in Canvas, it's because it's impossible 😕

Basically the reason is this: Users can control their notification preferences.  So you might have some users view it in your course, some get a DM in twitter, others get an email, and others get a push notification.  Some people have suggested some interesting workarounds such as:

• In the announcement specify that students should "like" it to acknowledge they read it
  • Use a discussion instead and set it at the top of the module as a prerequisite so they can't access anything else until they access it.

Other LMS have this as an option, I'm not sure why canvas cant. There actually is a real shortage of information provided by analytics.

0 Kudos

Hi  @jason_english ‌,

I tried my best to outline why it wouldn't be accurate above. My assumption for why other LMSs are able to implement it or how they've implemented it is that either 1) they don't have a external notifications like Canvas or  2) the data they're gathering is incomplete.

To put it another way, it could be implemented to show an announcement as "viewed" when a student actually clicks on it and views the page - but because of the reasons outlined above this probably wouldn't actually reflect reality. And speaking as a data nerd - I'd rather have no data than inaccurate data.

That said, there's a a feature idea for just this which I would encourage you to vote on and to comment on to provide your use case Smiley Happy https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4757-track-announcement-views 

0 Kudos