Knowing the URL to course before creation

Jump to solution
ulrik_sandgren
Community Explorer

We are in the planning phase of our Canvas startup and I am looking into the integration parts. In our current course creation application used to create courses for other LMS than Canvas (Moodle and Sakai) we are setting an URL directly to courses before the courses has been created, we are using an unique ID.

For Canvas I can not find a way to do this, the only direct URL to a course is http://<my canvas>/courses/<course id> Where <course id> is generated at course creation.

Is there another way to do this or is is not possible to know a URL before the course has been created?

1 Solution
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi Ulrik,

As far as I am aware of there is not a built in way to know the course URL prior to creating the course in Canvas as Canvas just assigns the next available course id upon creating a course. 

If you are going to rely on an automated system to create all your courses and never manually add a course in Canvas then you could set a starting number in your program and increment from there.  If that is not an option when you create a course using the #course api‌ it does return the course id necessary to know the course URL. 

View solution in original post