Levels of Mastery not Appearing

Jump to solution
Amanda_L_Albrig
Community Contributor

I have set up 10 outcomes at the SubAccount level.

The outcomes range from N=5 to N=7 where N is the number of times a student needs to receive a rating of mastery on the rubric to achieve mastery.

I have added those outcomes to a Rubric.

I have aligned the rubric with 18 assignments in two different courses. (9 in each course)

I have provided ratings for all 18 assignments for a test student.

The expectation I have is that I should see the students progress toward mastery represented in the Mastery Learning Gradebook (Green for Mastery, Yellow for Near Mastery, Orange for Below Mastery).

The only color mastery level listed with a color indicator is the one with the lowest required ratings.

None of the other Outcomes have been rated to Mastery yet but have been rated as either Near or Below Mastery. Yet, none of those ratings appear to show up in the Learning Mastery Gradebook. (see image).

Any idea why progression toward mastery is not appearing? It would be really helpful if it did.

MasteryLearningGB.png

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for including that screenshot, @Amanda_L_Albrig. It helped me do some testing and I was able to replicate your experience. It looks like that calculation method (achieve mastery N number of times) means that the colored square does not appear until the student has achieved mastery. I see that once a student has achieved mastery the result does show the average of their scores on the outcomes assessment. That feels like an oversight to me -- if the average score does not matter because of the calculation method, then the average should not be displayed.

At this point you have a couple of options. This feels like a bug to me, so I would use the Help menu inside Canvas to report this to Instructure. Another option is to use the Canvas Ideas and Themes process process to add some additional sophistication to how Canvas calculates outcome achievement.

P.S. I hope you get this message soon, as themes are open for voting until April 28 and one of those themes touches on issues like you encountered:

Broaden support in Canvas for competency-based education initiatives

View solution in original post