Broaden support in Canvas for competency-based education initiatives

Theme Overview

A growing number of institutions want additional tools in building their competency/outcomes-based courses.

What value could this provide to users?

• Canvas Outcomes can be tied to additional content in Canvas

Why was this theme chosen to open for voting?

October 2023 • As institutions explore competency-based education to help students develop and demonstrate proficiency of topics and skills, build a culture of equity and inclusivity, and to prepare students for life beyond the walls of their institution, they are looking for efficient and effective course creation and delivery along with improved visibility for students about their learning and growth opportunities, not just the grade attained. 

Why was this theme chosen to open for voting?

April 2023 • As more institutions move toward competency-based education models, we want to ensure that we support a more seamless learning platform that works end to end.

Why was this theme not chosen for prioritization?

June 2023 • Support for competency-based education initiatives is critical to our strategy; however, this theme does not fit within our capacity for 2H as we continue to deliver on our core roadmap and is something we will evaluate in further quarters. 

Referenced Ideas (18)

12 Comments
ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Open for Voting
Note from Instructure

April 2023 • This theme was chosen to Open for Voting. 

How do Ideas and Themes work in the Instructure Community? 

How do I participate with themes? 

nathanboettcher
Community Explorer

I'm surprised this hasn't received more votes than it has. I encourage my fellow contributors to consider the future of education and the tools needed to deliver the kinds of learning experiences that adult learners need for them (and ultimately, us, as Higher Education stakeholders) to be successful. This doesn't mean that Instructure should take anything away but rather that CBE-support be developed and grown as industry demands. 

I vote "yes" and strongly encourage my associates to join me as well.

JamesSekcienski
Community Coach
Community Coach

@nathanboettcher It would be nice to see Canvas offer more CBE-support especially as CBE gains more interest.  However, personally, I'm a bit unclear on what this theme is supporting the development of.  While there are related ideas, it has already been stated that development is based on the theme, not ideas, and this theme is rather vague and doesn't suggest much through the potential value.

What kinds of things are you most interested in Canvas potentially developing related to this?

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Post Voting Review

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Identified
  Comments from Instructure

June 2023 • This theme was not chosen for prioritization.

Support for competency-based education initiatives is critical to our strategy; however, this theme does not fit without our capacity for 2H as we continue to deliver on our core roadmap and is something we will evaluate in further quarters. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Open for Voting
LatriceBowman
Community Member

The learning mastery grade book is great for an end-of-semester look at student mastery, however, it needs more work to get the just-in-time perspective of where the student is. Currently, it is very tedious to get information to students about where they are or how they are doing.  If we had a just-in-time perspective, we could more easily reach out to students needing help reaching mastery. This is specifically for the 'achieve mastery n times' calculation method.

The translation between the mastery gradebook and the Individual gradebook doesn't seem to work either and again the 'achieve mastery n times' is misleading for students. Currently, some students have received mastery some number less than N times, but this does not show to students or instructors, so we would need to look through each individual student and their assignments to get a look at what they need.  This might be fine if there are only 10 students in a class, but for me and many of my colleagues we have classes of 50+ students, so this is not manageable.

Alignments feel buggy, frequently giving errors (such as stating no alignments even though there are assignments aligned), and they don't seem to show up consistently throughout the interface (Course menu outcomes then going to an outcome's alignment, alignments from outcomes page,  and the learning mastery grade book in student view).

Thank you for reading this.

simone_laughton
Community Participant

Having improved performance related to mastery would be wonderful.  However, the number of referenced items in this for one vote reminds me of voting for an omnibus bill.  Being able to select which items have priority in this overarching theme would be helpful.  Otherwise, implementation could be challenging with no clear idea as to which items are priority.

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

The Reference Idea [Learning Mastery Gradebook] Breakdown of all grades of an "Outcome" in the Learning Mastery table  is brilliant. The ability to see a breakdown of all assessments that feed into an outcome, and to see that for each individual student, is super helpful. Otherwise the instructor would have to drill down and look at each assessment, the students' outcome score/grade for each assessment, etc.

Also, the Reference Idea [New Analytics] Add Outcomes to New Analytics Graphs and Reports  could help instructors better monitor the current status of a student. Especially for CBE courses where assessors need to monitor students' progress.

LMacaulay
Community Participant

@simone_laughton I totally agree. I wish we could rank all of the ideas linked in a theme from highest to lowest priority for us and then also comment here on the theme overall. I shared this idea at InstructureCon, but alas, here we are commenting on themes with a ton of ideas. I agree, this theme is needed overall, but I don't have a clear picture of what would be done to better support CBE.

The one thing that I think WOULD help CBE is being able to have an Outcome "linked" to a row in a rubric, where the rubric criteria/rating levels are related specifically to the assignment, but then that is linked to the Outcome it maps to. I so often have to create a rubric row for what I am looking for specifically in the assignment (ie. APA style) and then ALSO include a row in the rubric for the Outcome that maps to that part of the assignment/task (ie. Digital Literacy). Yes, I assume the rating levels would have to be the same between the outcome and the rubric so that if a level is selected it would map to the appropriate level in the outcome, but that would sure save all the duplicate grading (and having to remember which rubric row maps to which Outcome row and clicking the same box!)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Post Voting Review

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Prioritized

Commenting on Themes is available when Themes are Open for Voting, In Development, or Prioritized.