Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesdmoore

Microsoft Office 365 Link Requires Multiple New Tabs to Open File

Hello!

I am creating a course in Canvas and have been using the Office 365 LTI to link to PowerPoints in my OneDrive. I have not had any issues in creating links or getting the PowerPoints to display in presentation mode as long as I made sure the link opened the file in a new tab. Just recently I noticed that when I click on a link to a PowerPoint, it opens a new tab and I get the message "This content cannot be viewed within this page" and it prompts me to open a third tab (which will then open the PowerPoint). This seems redundant and negates the purpose of having the link open the file in a new tab, to begin with. I am not sure why it is behaving this way now when I have not had any issues when I started building this course earlier in the year. I would greatly appreciate any insight in helping to resolve this issue!

Thank you,

Jay

0 Kudos
1 Reply
cassidy_reed
Instructure
Instructure

Hello James,

It sounds like this was setup correctly as they do need to be set to open in a new tab. I was able to login as you but when navigating your shell, as well as a few other course pages, I was not able to replicate this. Sometimes if it's something that was done a while ago and what you are working with is content copied from a previous course, we have seen links go bad to where they just need to be recreated.  The other thing that it could be is something directly tied to the browser itself. We would recommend making sure the your browser is up to date and then clearing the cache and cookies. If there is still no change you would want to try on a different browser to see if you get the same results or if the issue doesn't show up. 

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us.

Thank you and have a great day!

Cassidy R.
L1 Canvas Support
support@instructure.com