Published files not visible for students

Jump to solution
BrookeXavier
Community Member

Several students have shared that they cannot view the published files I have for the course (a mix of readings, class PPTs, project samples, etc.) Canvas IT directed me here to the community. I'd love your help! Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi there, @BrookeXavier ...

One of the first things you will want to consider is if you want to make your course "Files" screen viewable to your students or not.  Some instructors like to do this, but some instructors do not want "Files" viewable to students.  Instead, they hide the "Files" screen, and then they link to the files that have been uploaded within their content pages.  Please see this Guide to help you decide if you want to keep the "Files" course navigation menu visible to students or not: How do I manage Course Navigation links?.

If you choose to hide your "Files" course navigation menu, you still want to make sure that any files that you upload to "Files" are published.  This means that they have a green check-mark icon to the right of name/details of the file listed in "Files".  This is also true for any folders that you create in "Files".  These also need to be published.  So, even though the "Files" course navigation menu is not visible, the files within there still need to be published.

Now, let's say that you wanted to keep the "Files" navigation menu visible to students, but you still wanted to keep some of your files hidden from students.  (You could keep some files visible while others you could hide from them.)  You can do that, too.  See: How do I restrict files and folders to students in... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).  You can use the option "Only available to students with link".  This means that you can link to the file within a content page of your course, but they will not see it listed anywhere on your course "Files" screen.

Once you've decided on all of this, you can then start linking to your files that you've uploaded to your course "Files" within your content pages.  Or, if you wanted, you could also add any of those files as module items within your course.  Here are a couple additional Guides for you that might help:

Hoping this information will be helpful to you.  Let me know if you have any other questions...thanks!

View solution in original post