Quiz across two class periods: failed need help

Jump to solution
MichaelRentz
Community Member

Hello: I am trying something new with one of my advanced undergraduate courses.  I took the online exam I have given in class and tried to have it open across 2 class periods, Monday (today) and Wednesday.  I assumed when students logged out that Canvas would pause their timer, and the 110  minutes would be paused, and the remaining time available for them on Wednesday.  This failed, and Canvas submitted the students after 110 minutes.  I tried to add 48 hours to every student, but that also failed.

I have given everyone a second attempt, but this  means they  will need to start over???  Can they save or copy forward answers from one attempt to another?  I assume I can toggle back and forth between attempts, but doing this for every student and adding the scores by hand and adding the one attempts score to the other as a fudge factor is  super inefficient for me and super frustrating for the students.

Canvas support tried to help on the initial request,  but since their answer was wrong I figured I would try you all.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelRentz
Community Member
Author

Thank you Chris.  It was classic, so I guess toggle and fudge it is.  I split it thinking that they would *easily* get the first one done, leaving all of the math for the second day, but the students responded by sloooowwwing down.

Historically this exam has low scores overall, which I came to see was partially due to time pressure and not thinking clearly.  Hence I added the day AND allowed them to work in groups of 3 on the exam, to discuss the questions thinking that would increase understanding.  I am sure it has, but 2x the time was not enough as they belabored every little thing.  Oh well, a learning process.

View solution in original post