Quiz grades seen as letters (for faculty)

Jump to solution
mariadecoster
Community Member

Hello, is there any way to see a quiz grade as a letter (A, B, C, etc...)? Right now, I can see them as points and percentage, but our school has 3 grading schemes so seeing them as letters can be helpful too. Right now if I click on the 3 dots of a quiz (in the gradebook page) and then, I chose "enter grades as", I can see the options "points" and "percentage" (so the grades show as either or) but not "letters" - maybe that can be an option down the road? It is just a suggestion.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

Hi @mariadecoster ,

Are you using New Quizzes or Classic? In New Quizzes there is a drop-down option for "Display Grade as" similar to the one in Assignments. You can select "Letter Grade" instead of "Points." This is done when creating (or editing?) the Quiz, not from the Gradebook. After you select "Letter Grade," you will access an additional option to choose the appropriate Grading Scheme.

I don't remember if this option is available in Classic Quizzes, and I no longer have access to that format at my institution.

View solution in original post

Hi @mariadecoster,

I believe what @TrishaMeyer1 indicated is correct.  If you're using Classic Quizzes, I don't believe there is an option to use a grade scheme.  With the New Quizzes engine though, you can use a letter grade display.  Instructure isn't really developing Classic Quizzes anymore, so I doubt this will change in the future.  You could ask the Canvas team at your school/institution if they have plans to transition over to New Quizzes in the future though.

-Chris

View solution in original post