Recovering text entry assignment submitted after availability date

Jump to solution
milesl
Community Contributor

We recently had a student reach out for support because they authored an assignment using the RCE, and then (unknowingly) waited until after the availability date to submit.

After submitting, their composition disappeared, and they received the message "You can't submit an assignment when it is locked". Nothing shows up in the speedgrader, and the RCE did not restore the text when they were granted another attempt.

Does Canvas store these submissions somewhere? Is there a way, as an administrator or instructor, to recover this type of submission (e.g., via the api or canvas data)?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @milesl ...

Without being able to see exactly what happened (but thank you for the description), it's a little difficult to troubleshoot this.  But, in reading through the situation you'd described, I don't believe that the text could be recovered...unfortunately.  When I've seen postings such as your where people are replying with their suggestions, one of the most common suggestions I see is for students to compose their assignment responses "offline" via a Word document or a similar word processing program.  Even if the text will eventually be pasted into the RCE of the Canvas assignment, at least the student would still have a saved copy of the text offline in case situations surface like the one you describe.

The student could certainly try reaching out to the Canvas Support folks to see if there are any other suggestions they could offer, but I'm not sure that they'll be able to recover the text for the student.  How do I contact Canvas Support? - Instructure Community

Sorry that this may not be the solution you were looking for, but I hope it helps in some way.  Keep Community members posted on this...thanks!

View solution in original post