Removing table without removing the icons inside the table

Jump to solution
l_t_l_stende
Community Member

Hi, 

I work with universal design at my institute. We have previously used a lot of tables, but have been told that this is not compatible with universal design. For that reason, I wonder if anyone knows how to remove a table without removing the icons in the table? See screenshot. I also wonder if there are any open Canvas rooms that are good examples of universal design? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @l_t_l_stende ...

My understanding is that tables should be mainly used to hold data and not for page layout ... as there can be issues with accessibility.  It looks like you have some icons and some text below them (possibly within a hidden table).  You could try to click on those icons while editing the page to highlight each, then hit the keyboard combination Ctrl+X (cut) to remove it from the table.  Then...either in a new page or a lower area of the same page, press Ctrl+V (paste) on your keyboard to paste the icon back on the page.  You could then repeat this for the other icons and also the text on that page.  Then, that table could be deleted from the page.

I am also aware of a blog post from Chris Long (@clong) called Home Sweet Homepages without Tables that you might want to take a look at.  A couple of the links in his first paragraph go to the following pages:

Hopefully some of these resources will be of some help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes