cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ctmay
Community Participant

Resetting the given rubric in an assignment

Jump to solution

May I know if it is possible to clear the given rubric from a student?  Like if I have accidentally grade a student A with the rubric, but this rubric grades was suppose to be for student B.  Therefore I would like to clear the given rubric of Studnet A.  But somehow I can not find how to do so.  Anyone knows if it is possible?

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
nwilson7
Community Champion

Hello  @ctmay ‌, while you are in speedgrader, open the rubric back up (click "view rubric") and delete the values in the score portions.  This should return them back to the dash line "-" indicating no score and then you can submit that so you are back to a blank start.  It will tell you that you have an "invalid score" but it will work okay.

You also should be able to just open up the rubric again and rescore it and resubmitting without deleting the scores too.  I just tested it on an assignment and it let me both rescore the rubric and delete out values.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post

ctmay
Community Participant

Hi Ofelia,

I have submitted a ticket last time and they suggest me to first hide or mute the assignment grade first.  Then edit the rubric and uncheck the option "Remove points from rubric".  After that you should able to clear the point of the rubric section from Speedgrader.

After all set, just edit the Rubrics to check "Remove points from rubric" again and unmute or post Grades to student.

Hope this information  helps.

12 Replies
nwilson7
Community Champion

Hello  @ctmay ‌, while you are in speedgrader, open the rubric back up (click "view rubric") and delete the values in the score portions.  This should return them back to the dash line "-" indicating no score and then you can submit that so you are back to a blank start.  It will tell you that you have an "invalid score" but it will work okay.

You also should be able to just open up the rubric again and rescore it and resubmitting without deleting the scores too.  I just tested it on an assignment and it let me both rescore the rubric and delete out values.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

ctmay
Community Participant

Thanks  @nwilson7  for your reply, what about if the instructor have removed the point for the rubrics, is there any way to clear then?

nwilson7
Community Champion

Are you wanting to delete the entire rubric or just clear out the score?  The score should be able to be cleared by deleting the points either in speedgrader or the gradebook.  

ctmay
Community Participant

My case here is instructor has linked up the assignment with a rubric which is with the option "Remove points from rubric" enabled, i.e. no points but will only show the criteria and ratings description to student and is not using it for grading.

So after the instructor has marked with the rubric to the wrong student by mistake and he noticed there are no ways to clear the entry.

ofelia_mangen
Community Participant

Did anyone happen to find a solution for this? I have an instructor with the same issue. 

ctmay
Community Participant

Hi Ofelia,

I have submitted a ticket last time and they suggest me to first hide or mute the assignment grade first.  Then edit the rubric and uncheck the option "Remove points from rubric".  After that you should able to clear the point of the rubric section from Speedgrader.

After all set, just edit the Rubrics to check "Remove points from rubric" again and unmute or post Grades to student.

Hope this information  helps.

chaldeat
Community Participant

I also have the same question.  Our faculty are assessing General Education outcomes.  One faculty has a student that she needs to clear the rubric selections (because he will not be assessed at all).  Because the points were not used for grading, there is no option to delete the points or her selections.  How can the rubric be cleared or reset for a specific student?  Thanks everyone.

nwilson7
Community Champion

If the rubric was used to assess other students you can not clear any of the data, you would need to duplicate the rubric and use the new rubric to review the one student.  Not sure that is the issue you are running into just in case though, I wanted to mention it.  Basically, you can't assess students and then change the measure in which you assess them (even if you don't mean to change those already graded students).

-Nick

ofelia_mangen
Community Participant

As far as I can tell, it is not possible clear a no-point rubric — though you can change the selections.

For the scenario you described, you might consider...

• Do not release the assessment to that student. Depending on the grade posting policy, you may have to manually post the grades to all of the other students (vs. posting all of the grades automatically or in a batch action). 
  • Add a note to the existing rubric to indicate that the selections cannot be cleared and should be disregarded. 

Please do add a note here if you figure out another workaround!