SSO for external client

Jump to solution
grayat
Community Participant

Hi Canvas Community,

Has anyone tried or experienced configuring SSO for 3rd party or external set of users using this How do I configure third-party authentication prov... - Instructure Community - 225 (canvaslms.com)?

Our experience was not straight forward and had to do manual intervention on our end in SIS before the external users are able to log in on their premise via SSO.

Was that your case as well? Appreciate any experiences you can share. Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @grayat,

We use SAML authentication for our university users and it's really been pretty painless since we set it up years ago.

I notice your question mentions third-party/external users though, which is not necessarily the same as things would be for normal school/university Canvas users. Our sister campus uses a third-party social media login SSO provider for external users, and I don't think they had much trouble setting that up.  Can you elaborate on what you were trying to accomplish and what kind of issues you ran in to?  I think things like this may be very school/institution and provider specific.  Also, unless you're using just-in-time provisioning, the users have to exist in Canvas before they'd be able to log in through SSO, which I know has tripped some people up before.

Looking forward to hearing back from you with more details.

-Chris

View solution in original post