cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julieddavis
Community Participant

Select a Student Group in Speedgrader?

Jump to solution

I have a teacher that is currently trying to grade in speedgrader but getting the message "Select Student Group- Due to the size of your course you must select a student group before launching SpeedGrader." There are currently no student groups set up for this course. The only way the teacher can grade these assignments is by clicking on them in their "to do" list...this gives them access without any issues. Any ideas on how to solve this issue? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
troy-carroll
Community Participant

Got an answer. This is due to a checkbox being checked in course settings.

Launch SpeedGrader Filtered by Student Group

In this particular course, the box was checked.

This is a new feature, as mentioned in the September 21 release notes

I guess I should be paying more attention to the release notes. :smileyblush:

I have to assume one of the teachers or TA in this particular course checked the box because I spot-checked about 30 other courses and none had the box checked. Hoping it wasn't turned on by default for some reason.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

julieddavis, that is super strange and I've never seen that before. I would start by double-checking that the Instructor didn't accidentally check the box to grade by groups. You can do this by clicking the edit button for the assignment and scrolling down to look at the Group settings - nothing should be checked. If nothing is checked for this assignment, then I would submit this to Canvas Support. 

Please let us know what you find on this! Kona

julieddavis
Community Participant

I checked that...it isn't checked and it is now happening with all of his assignments. 

Definitely 911 to Canvas Support! That is super strange!

troy-carroll
Community Participant

I'm on the phone with Canvas support right now about this exact same issue. The teacher for this course has graded other assignments this semester without a problem, but this message has just appeared and now they can't get to the speedgrader on any assignment. 11 students in this course so it doesn't appear the message is valid. Looks like a new bug to me, but we'll see. 

I'll add to this what I find out from the call.

troy-carroll
Community Participant

Got an answer. This is due to a checkbox being checked in course settings.

Launch SpeedGrader Filtered by Student Group

In this particular course, the box was checked.

This is a new feature, as mentioned in the September 21 release notes

I guess I should be paying more attention to the release notes. :smileyblush:

I have to assume one of the teachers or TA in this particular course checked the box because I spot-checked about 30 other courses and none had the box checked. Hoping it wasn't turned on by default for some reason.

View solution in original post

Came across a similar issue today and was so happy to find your answer!

irishb
Community Contributor

Thank you for this! Our faculty run into this issue sometimes, and I don't think they are checking the box... mystery aside, it's great to have a solution to provide them with a quick resolve! 

Best wishes,
Bridget

The Evergreen State College