Self- Enrol Without an Account

Jump to solution
JeremyBoucher
Community Member

I want to enable self-enrol to a course for students who don't necessarily have an account in my instance of Canvas - some of them have existing Canvas accounts for other institutions. The issue I have is that I created the secret link, but when I share it the enrolling student is not presented with the option of creating an account in my instance of Canvas, they are just shown a logon (username/password). Their own institutional account details won't work and they don't have an existing account in my instance yet.

How can this be enabled, without me having to manually enrol all students or create an account for them prior to their enrolment in the class?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
bbennett2
Community Champion

It depends on how your users login to Canvas. We use single-sign on, so we can't have outside people join a course unless we create a domain account for them. One way around this is to set up a Free for Teachers account and export a copy of your course into that instance.

In your course settings, what is the Course Visibility set to? It should be Public if you want people outside your institution to be able to enroll. When they use the join link, they should be prompted to create an account and enroll in the course.

View solution in original post