Sort discussions into groups as an instructor

Jump to solution
JRawlinsARC
Community Member

This is actually related to another question I asked regarding YouTube captions not being available in Canvas Studio.

Since Studio won't/can't use the captions I already created for my YouTube videos, I needed to find another way to post these videos to my course.  Part of the reason I really loved Studio was the ability for students to comment on the video - which made for a quick and easy way for folks to ask questions.

Well, I needed to find a way to use my YouTube captions and still allow my students to comment their questions - so I created a discussion board and embedded the video in the topic.  This allows for the YouTube player controls (meaning my captions work) and the students can still comment.

That part is spiffy, but I wanted to be able to create a group within the discussion index that is JUST these video discussions - that way they don't get mixed in with the ACTUAL class discussions.  Essentially, I want to be able to group them similar to the assignments interface (where I have "Quizzes", "Papers", "Discussions", etc.), but the discussions would have group names like "Discussion Topics", "Lesson Videos", etc.

Is there any way to do this?  Or do I just manually shift my discussion entries around in the index to make sure they are in the order I want?  Or do I just pin the topic discussions and not the video posts?

Any help would be welcome!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@JRawlinsARC ...

This is actually related to another question I asked regarding YouTube captions not being available in Canvas Studio.

Since Studio won't/can't use the captions I already created for my YouTube videos, I needed to find another way to post these videos to my course.  Part of the reason I really loved Studio was the ability for students to comment on the video - which made for a quick and easy way for folks to ask questions.

Well, I needed to find a way to use my YouTube captions and still allow my students to comment their questions - so I created a discussion board and embedded the video in the topic.  This allows for the YouTube player controls (meaning my captions work) and the students can still comment.

Hopefully you saw my response in your other thread.  If possible, you can download a *.srt or *.vtt file from YouTube Studio for your captions.  Then, upload that file into Canvas Studio for your video that you've put into your Studio library.

Enable Pre-existing YouTube Captions - Instructure Community - 614277 (canvaslms.com)

View solution in original post

JeffCampbell
Community Coach
Community Coach

I have not seen a feature in the default Canvas options to do what you seek. If your primary goal is to help organize them, you can create assignment groups or modules and sort the discussions that way. It is not the Discussions list, but will at least give you a way to quickly find them. If your students would be expected to understand the purpose, you will just have to go over that with them. 

View solution in original post