Student Notifications Regarding Incomplete Modules

Jump to solution
AdrienneScott
Community Explorer

I work for an institution that trains teachers on using our product.  We are creating a course with 5 modules and would like to send users an automatic notification that reminds them to complete their incomplete modules.  Is it possible and how.  

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @AdrienneScott 

Having trained teachers for many years, and having been a teacher for a great many more, I understand how difficult it can sometimes be to keep teachers on-task for any task that is not in their own classrooms!

Canvas does not have an automated solution, but you could create a new Idea Conversation for this functionality in this community.

Lacking an automated solution, this is how I would do it and have done it, many times...........

• Create an end-of-module quiz, and use this quiz as an opportunity for the learners to self-assess how well they did on the module and provide you with important information on how well the learning materials and activities in the module worked. I ask one question for each learning objective for the module, and ask the learner to rate their understanding or achievement of the objective as a Likert-scale rating.
  • The quiz is always available for the convenience of my more rapid learners.
  • I set the module to require completion of the quiz,
  • Just before the expected end of the anticipated or required end time of the module (I don't know if your course is date/time delineated), use the "Message students who...." feature of the gradebook to remind learners to complete the module. How do I send a message to students using the gradebook?
  • Rinse and repeat daily until everybody has completed the module, or the class has moved on!

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post