Student lacks paper clip icon for attaching files to Assignment Comment

Jump to solution
MsTia
Community Participant

A student can't attach a file to an Assignment Comment because there's no paper clip icon visible on their end. This consistently happened to another of my students a year or two ago, also.

The paper clip icon is missing (as well as the new icon to record videos and screen capture with auto captioning). It should appear to the right of the smiley emoji, near the "Submit" button.

I can get more info on the student's device, OS version, etc -- but meanwhile, here's an image from the student:

View from student's accountView from student's account

Ideas? Any help appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @MsTia,

I get this exact same experience acting as a student when assignment enhancements are not enabled.  It appears there is no file/media icon available during the initial submission, but once the initial submission is made, a comment can be added and the attachment and media options are available there.  I don't know if this is intentional or not, as I've seen some teachers say students are using the comment attachment button to get around restrictions set up for file submission assignments (but with assignment enhancements on, the attachment and media comment buttons are available right away).  Because of the inconsistency, I'd recommend that you contact Canvas support to report this behavior and see if they can clarify the expectations.

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes