To Do List Problems

Jump to solution
catherine_geer
Community Explorer

The recent update (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Releases/Canvas-Deploy-Notes-2022-11-09/ta-p/543801#toc-hI... has made the To Do list basically unusable for me. 

I understand the issue it was supposed to address - separating a user's student tasks from teacher tasks. However, by making it so the student to do list is on top and can't be removed or shifted and also not letting me change what shows up in the student to do list, it basically means I won't see the teacher to do list anymore. The only classes I'm a student in are our whole-school-staff type pages and they get filled with every single thing anyone needs to know about. Helpful, sure, but that means trying to conclude or hide hundreds of to do lit items which are constantly being added just to be able to see me teacher list. 

This is a pity because the teacher to do list has done a great job of helping me stay really up to date on grading, which will likely slip now. 

The fix: make it possible to hide the student to do list, or able to swap the order, or be able to "mute" classes from the to do list. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution
AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you all for your swift feedback. I wanted to provide some explanation as to why your experience changed and also how we’re going to make it better after reading through your comments.

Over the summer a customer reported that users with non-student enrollments were not seeing items for their student enrollments in their To Do lists. Our documentation states that if you are enrolled in Canvas courses as a teacher and a student, To Do List items for both roles will appear. After digging in, we found the bug and fixed it, adding the clear title distinction so that users could quickly see what needed to happen for each of their roles.

I know a lot of you would like the option to remove your student To Do List altogether; however, many teachers and administrators rely on them to complete requirements for the courses in which they are students. That being said, I understand your pain and we are going to flip the lists so that Teacher To Do appears above Student To Do. I know this isn’t the perfect solution for everyone, but I think it’s a good compromise to meet the needs of the whole Canvas community.

View solution in original post