Unpublishing a Module Unpublishes Graded Work

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Not really a question but I didn't find any other posts about this and want to lift it up to others.

We have teachers who will unpublish modules as the year goes on for a number of reasons...clear up clutter for students, keep student focused on current work, close out/hide assignments for students after the marking period is over. We are K-12 and our courses run for 10 months, many teachers set up a weekly module so unpublishing them is common practice as is unpublishing older modules when a new marking period begins.

With the new publishing options released over the summer, the unpublish option changed to unpublish the module and all items. Previously, unpublishing the module just unpublished the module but left all the items within it published. The issue we are now facing is that unpublishing the module unpublishes graded student work if the work is set to 'on paper' or 'no submission'. Canvas will not let you unpublish online work with student submissions. Because this was not the previous behavior teachers aren't realizing that graded assignments are getting removed from the gradebook. The teacher I spoke to only found out when I student asked about an assignment that had disappeared.

Anything that causes grade records to just disappear is not designed correctly and needs to be fixed. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes