Uploading Quiz Content via .csv file(?)

Jump to solution
FrancisPark
Community Novice

I was wondering if there was a way to populate quizzes using the .csv upload feature. Looking at the canvas import package, it looks like it lets me upload accounts, courses, groups, logins, sections, etc., but I was wondering if there is a way to upload quizzes using the .csv feature.

What I am looking for is a .csv template for canvas that will allow me to populate questions and answers, and bulk upload them to the site. The reason being is some of the quizzes will have 100+ questions and it would take too long to upload each question through the website individually. Thank you very much.

2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @FrancisPark ...

I'm not sure if you have heard of the Respondus 4.0 Exam Authoring Tool, but this is what we currently use to batch upload multiple quiz questions into Classic Quizzes within Canvas.  I have a complete write-up on what this software is and how to use it.  Batch Uploading Quiz Questions with Respondus - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

The question will be how this software might integrate in the future with the New Quizzes quiz engine.  They have the following information about this on their website: Publishing to Instructure Canvas "New Quizzes" – Respondus Support.

Not sure if this information will be of help to you, but I thought I'd share with you just in case.

View solution in original post

melodyc_lam
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi, @FrancisPark

You could try this tool here: Northwestern U -- Add quiz questions by converting CSV to QTI (the tool itself is made by Kansas State but these are Canvas specific instructions). I haven't used the tool myself so I can't say if it works for your use case. I would suggest creating a "sandbox" course and uploading the result there so you can see if the tool works for you.

Alternatively if you have experience with the Canvas API/REST API and some programming knowledge you can create your own template and use the API calls to create the quiz and questions from reading the CSV file. If you go this route and you need help, there's a Canvas Developers Group that can help with any issues using the Canvas API.

Good luck!

View solution in original post