Where are student submitted files stored and can I access them?

Jump to solution
TangierClarke
Community Member

I'd like to know how to access student submitted files such as videos.  The only way I know to get to them right now is downloading each file one at a time for each student in Speedgrader which is far from speedy; particularly since I can't play the videos directly in Canvas.

What I am looking for is something perhaps like Google classroom where I can go to my "Classroom" folder and drill down through the course folders until I get to the assignment folder, and then get (download) all of the student videos that were submitted at once.

I don't need this for grading purposes necessarily. I just want a faster way to get all of the files rather than clicking to each student in Speedgrader and downloading each video file. However, if I can't find any solution to playing the video files (they're H.264 compressed videos designed to be streamed) directly in canvas for grading, this is the next best thing and for other class purposes.  

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @TangierClarke 

Thanks for posting this in the global Canvas Community! 

I know that you can download student submissions a couple ways in Canvas. Downloading them from Speedgrader is one way, but this can take quite a bit of time since you have to do that one by one. One option is to do this from the gradebook. HERE is a guide on how to do that method. The other option is from the assignment page. HERE is a guide on how to do that. 

The guide for downloading them from the assignment page lists: Bulk downloads can be used for the following submission types: file uploads, text entries (displayed as HTML files), website URLs (displayed as HTML files), and Google Docs submissions. They also do mention that: Bulk downloads cannot be used for video file uploads. 

Hopefully this helps! 

-Colton 

View solution in original post