cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I download all student submissions for an assignment in the Gradebook?

How do I download all student submissions for an assignment in the Gradebook?

If you want to download all student submissions for an assignment, you can download them from the Gradebook in a bulk download. All submissions are downloaded as a single ZIP file that you can use to grade submissions on your computer offline. If a student has resubmitted an assignment, only the most recent submission will be included in the ZIP file. You can also download assignments from the assignment page.

Bulk downloads can be used for the following submission types: file uploads, text entries (displayed as HTML files), website URLs (displayed as HTML files), and Google Docs submissions.

In bulk downloads, Canvas automatically amends the file name for each submission type:

• For group assignments, the file name will include the name of the assigned group.
  • For individual student assignments, the file name will include the name of the student (last name first).
  • When anonymous grading is enabled, student names are not included in the names of downloaded files.

Note: After downloading student files, you can re-upload all student submissions in the Gradebook. However, you cannot change the names of the submission files. Otherwise Canvas will not be able to recognize the files that should be replaced.

Open Grades

Open Grades

In Course Navigation, click the Grades link.

Open Assignment Menu

Open Assignment

Hover over the assignment column header and click the Options icon.

Download Submissions

Download Submissions

Click the Download Submissions link.

View Progress

View Progress

View the progress of the file compression by tracking the progress bar.

Download File

Download File

When the file is finished processing, download the file by clicking the Click here to download link [1]. Canvas will also include the size of the download file as part of the link for your reference.

To close the download window, click the Close icon [2].

Open ZIP File

Open ZIP File

Once the file has been downloaded, locate the ZIP file on your computer [1]. To open the file, either double click to open it (Mac users) or right-click the file and select Extract All (PC users).

When the file expands, click the submissions folder [2] to view the assignment submissions [3].

Comments

Hello. The "download" option does not appear in the pulldown menu of my gradebook. Is this an option that can be changed by the district? Does it matter that the submission was a recording made in Canvas?

I do not have the "Download" Submissions option.  The submitted files were google docs using an "external tool."  Is there a way to bulk download these?

I am able to bulk download submitted google docs that are not from a teacher-created and embedded doc.

Hi @prglenn,

The submission type can play a part in whether the Download Submissions option displays. Bulk downloads can only be used for the following submission types: file uploads, text entries (displayed as HTML files), website URLs (displayed as HTML files), and Google Docs submissions. I took a peek at quite a few of your courses and most of the assignments I can find that require a recording need to be submitted outside of Canvas and the Canvas assignment includes a "No Submission" submission type. If I was looking at the correct assignments, that might be why you're not able to see the Download Submissions option. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.

Naomi

Hi @huberki

At this time external tool submission types or cloud submission types are not supported for bulk download. If an Online submission type is selected, it is possible (like you mentioned) to download submitted Google Doc files. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. 

Naomi

Naomi, 

Thanks for your reply. I had tried with media recorded in Canvas. When downloading that was not available, I chose to use a Google Form and "no submission" to collect the next batch of audio files. But if I read our response correctly, if I choose "file upload", then I can batch download the responses. Also - when I use a Google Form, is "no submission" the correct setting?

Much appreciated.

Hi @prglenn,

Oh, thanks for clarifying! If your students will be using the recording tool found in the rich content editor (or new rich content editor), you'll want to select the "Online" submission type and make sure Text Entry is checked. Text entry submission types pull up the rich content editor. Once recordings are submitted, you can download all submissions. - Just know that download times can differ depending on the strength and stability of your internet connection, as well as the length of the videos being downloaded. 

For your Google Form question, yes; I'd recommend using the "No Submission" type.  

Naomi

Is there a way to bulk download some of the submissions for an assignment? In other words, is there a way to pick which student submissions will get downloaded?

If the answer is no, then why not? That seems like a pretty obvious and important use case.

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: