Word count SpeedGrader

Jump to solution
JedKeenan
Community Participant

Word count in SpeedGrader is wildly inaccurate.

I have two instances that are not a couple of words off but over a thousand words off. They are both files saved as PDF 1.7 files from MS Word but both with wholly inaccurate word counts.

Is this just me?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions
Hildi_Pardo
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Jed, I might suggest reporting this to Canvas Support so they can investigate it.

BUT -- one thought I have is that sometimes, even in Word docs or other files, there is code hidden it the background if text is copied and pasted from somewhere else.   Since the numbers are so wildly off, I would wonder if there are words that can't be seen (words that are in the coding in the background).

View solution in original post

bergs
Community Participant

We just encountered this same issue with undercounted word counts shown in SpeedGrader for a few student PDF submissions. According to Canvas Support, the cause of the issue was the use of a font that is not supported by Canvas document previews. According to Support, "If a student uses an unsupported font, Speedgrader is unable to confirm line breaks or spacing."

The list of supported fonts is here: What types of files can be previewed in Canvas? - Instructure Community - 607 (canvaslms.com)

Our impacted students used the Aptos font, which is currently being rolled out as the new default font for Microsoft Office products. Supporting Microsoft Office's default font seems important, so I'm hoping that Canvas is prioritizing adding Aptos to the list of supported fonts.

View solution in original post