Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions in Canvas Question Forum. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Hi all, is there a way to disable student comments on assignments? I find that students use the comment option to ask questions that they should be emailing me, and I'd rather them not have the option to comment.

Community Explorer
Canvas Question Forum
  • 7 Likes
  • 31 Replies

Ever since Canvas moved over to DocViewer, the system randomly renders Word Documents, arbitrarily shifting the fonts, line-spacing, and other formatting. This makes the Speedgrader app completely incapable of use for assessing things like document f...

Community Explorer
Canvas Question Forum
  • 55 Likes
  • 74 Replies

New to Canvas.  I am sorry if this was answered somewhere already.Desire:  Email multiple students that have either yet to login or are otherwise unengaged - all at once.  (similar to how you can do it in gradebook on a missing assignment or no submi...

• 7 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I would like to know if it is possible to hid the to do list from the student view.  We are having an issue with some students clicking on the assignments from the to do list instead of following the order of the modules.  It would be less confusing ...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 32 Likes
  • 42 Replies

In a Canvas page, that is.This seems super-basic, but I can't find anything better than switching into HTML Editor mode.  Some insert menu would be OK, but I'm really hoping for a keyboard shortcut.  (macOS, if it makes a difference.)

Community Participant
Canvas Question Forum
  • 8 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Hello, I noticed this issue was asked about in this thread a year ago, but I could not find a solution.  When I require a Quiz to be taken with LDB, the "require LDB for feedback and results" option is selected by default, but after students take the...

• 3 Likes
  • 11 Replies

I am trying to find the simplest way to copy a quiz so I can modify it for a small group of students. I've been searching through the help and have found how to copy/move questions (via the unfiled question banks); however, I want to know if I can ac...

• 8 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Why are the answer boxes so small on quizzes? I get why matching questions need small boxes--space is limited on screen due to the layout. But there appears to be plenty of room to expand the boxes to the right for multiple choice and multiple answer...

• 1 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I'm an instructor who has been adding comments/annotations within the textbox for SpeedGrader and my students just informed me they haven't seen these.  They see the comments in the "Assignment Comments" section but apparently when I submit the grade...

• 4 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Hello all!I have two questions regarding creating custom menus on pages:1) I've made a custom menu (html in the text editor, using custom css file) for the modules and the module´s pages to be displayed in a "right column" (which unfortunately is par...

• 9 Likes
  • 16 Replies

Perhaps I missed something on the latest Release Notes, though I double-checked things.  I started seeing this yesterday, and just got my first faculty email on it. On my campus, at least, while editing anything with a link in the RCE, what used to b...

• 25 Likes
  • 22 Replies

I am an instructor and have many practice quizzes on Canvas for students to take to help themselves review for our exams. However, right now all of the practice quizzes appear in one long list of quizzes. I'd like to categorize the quizzes (lecture r...

• 5 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Let's say I want to refer someone to a post that already exists, either in the same discussion or another discussion. Is there a way to do that using the tools? If not, is there a way to find the URL for a given discussion post?

• 6 Likes
  • 14 Replies

I am uploading a Microsoft word document from Dropbox to a Canvas assignment on my iPad Pro. The document is double spaced in the processor, but when I upload it, the preview I click on appears to be single spaced. Is this a common issue, or is it ju...

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I took my quiz in lockdown browser which was only one attempt but during the quiz, something went wrong I was unable to continue it until the end I only used my 20 min of 45 min quiz. However, I lost my first attempt but my instructor sent another at...

• 1 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I can only see 10 class calendars at a time but am enrolled in 13 courses. This is troubling, as my weekly schedule does not accurately reflect all lectures, homework assignments, and obligations entered by my professors. Can I toggle settings to see...

• 6 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Is there a way to use HTML code to make a link start a new Canvas message to me, as the instructor?  I could use "mailto", but that forces the students to contact me through email.  I'd rather have the link kick them right to a new message within Can...

• 9 Likes
  • 19 Replies

Hi, Apologies if this has been answered before, I did search but couldn't find the question.A teacher has come to me with a problem, when editing the front page of his course and saving, the changes aren't there. I tested this and saw that any change...

• 1 Likes
  • 5 Replies

I want to send emails to all students in my class ..... I tried using Announcement, but it does not send after I saved it.... which should have happened according to the Help menu.

• 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

How do I hide the rubric for an assignment until the students have submitted their work? I have the correct answers in the rubric and do not want them to see it until I finish grading (using the rubric).

• 6 Likes
  • 8 Replies

I can't view any of the files or powerpoints for my classes without downloading them. Is there a way to fix this?

• 4 Likes
  • 17 Replies

Hello Everyone,I have my teachers import course content from the course they taught last year into new course shells created by PowerSchool. We use "copy a Canvas course" and "All Content."  We have two issues with this:1) There does not seem to be a...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 14 Likes
  • 28 Replies

Our SIS dumped in parents as observers in all of our courses. This is fine, but it automatically makes the notification frequency set to "Notify me right away" upon grade changes. We would prefer the parents have the opportunity to opt-in to receivin...

• 3 Likes
  • 6 Replies

You used to be able to drag and make Google Docs larger, but in the past 4-6 months it changed and you are no longer able to do that in the rich content editor. Now you have to use HTML and guess what size you want the document. Why is it not working...

• 9 Likes
  • 26 Replies

I want to manually create groups outside of canvas (based on non-repeating partners for multiple group sets and for other reasons), and then import this group set into Canvas.  Is there a way to do this by importing a csv with my groups?

• 7 Likes
  • 8 Replies

I have a SCORM/Storyline question.... Trying to get a Storyline360 output to pass grades to the Canvas grade book.Output as SCORM 2004 (3rd edition) - also tried SCORM 1.2Tracking by the result slideHave set the LMS reporting to "Passed/Failed"Have i...

• 4 Likes
  • 9 Replies

We are creating a "Student Body Home" course for all 2700 of the students in our school.  The goal is to have a central location for resources along with some accountability pieces, such as an Honor Code quiz.  We also wanted to utilize announcements...

• 5 Likes
  • 5 Replies

When I sort assignments by date the newest show up on the right causing you to have to scroll. Can I sort it so the newest date is on the left?

• 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I give online quizzes. I want the students to only see the correct answers after some date/time and only if they have attempted the quiz. I do not understand how to do this. My configuration looks like thisI thought this would let students see the an...

• 3 Likes
  • 3 Replies

In the Total column how do I see what the total possible points is?

• 6 Likes
  • 15 Replies