teachers managing sis data

Jump to solution
Lena_HLP
Community Member

Is there a way to give teacher accounts the permission to create SIS ID's for their courses?

I don't see that permission option in the "course roles" section in Permissions, only "SIS Data Read". The "Account Roles" only feature "Account Admin", "Outcome Service", and "Quizzes.Next Service".

I would like teachers to create SIS ID's for their courses so that I can more easily archive/clean up once the year is over. I know there is a script to assign SIS ID's to courses and users using PowerShell, however, I do not know how to do this. So instead of adding in an ID individually, I would like instructors to do so. Is this possible?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @Lena_HLP,

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to let teachers do this.  The SIS_ID is generally used to help import info from an SIS or export to one.  I think the most common practice is to have courses be created by your SIS initially, that way the ID would be automatically populated.  It sounds like you're using a very different process at your school/institution right now though.  I'd probably suggest reviewing your procedures to see if you could create courses via your SIS, as that may be more of the ultimate solution here.

Some info about importing data from an SIS to create users, courses, etc can be found at: SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

Hope this helps a bit!

-Chris

View solution in original post